Wednesday 11 July 2012

The Lying Game - Chapter 8,9 and 10

Chapter 8
Everyone made their way back into the courtroom and it was now Jesinta's turn to take the stand, all eyes were on her in her wheelchair as her mouth wrestled with the tube needed to propel her sip 'n' puff wheelchair forward, as she went up she misjudged where the defence's table was and caught the end of it making a loud noise and the jolt caused her to lose grip on the straw of her wheelchair, the jury was mainly women and they looked on with faces of sorrow over Jesinta's plight and her complete lack of movement. After her straw was replaced back to her mouth she made her way to the stand, a special makeshift ramp had been put in place for her so she mounted that and was soon in position to give her testimony, Before she could say anything though she had to take an oath, she obviously couldn't raise her hand so it was raised for her as she said it, not even being able to raise her hand for the oath truly showed how paralyzed she really was to the jurors and one of them even looked set to cry over the condition of Jesinta.
After the oath was done and dusted the prosecution started to ask their questions.
"If you wouldn't mind could you please tell the court your condition at present" asked the prosecutor.

"I'm what is classed a c1 quadriplegic" replied Jesinta

"Could you elaborate a bit more and break it down for the jury please"
 
"Well it means I am paralyzed from the neck down, I need a ventilator to breathe and have no movement in my head either, the only things I can move are my mouth and eyes" Jesinta explained.

The jury of predominantly women looked on in horror as she further informed everyone of her injury and all the dramas that went with it, even the couple of men looked mortified at the pain this woman had been through, pain I was guilty of. After some more questions Jesinta left the stand, she manoeuvred her wheelchair back to where Helena and I were sitting.
"God i'm so glad that's over" she expressed happy to now have most eyes off her again.
"You did fantastic" I encouraged although to be honest I just felt sick over it all.
A few more submisions were made before we were told that the verdict would be received tomorrow. We left the courthouse and headed back to the centre where Jesinta told me she was absolutely exhausted, she was changed by a nurse and placed in her bed by way of a hoist, everytime I saw her limp lifeless body be swung in the air like that landing in bed I felt a wave of guilt but I'd had my chance to own up and I was too gutless, I had now become too deceptive for too long and as selfish as it sounded i'd become too important to her and she needed me now.
The next day we were all up bright and early to head to the courthouse and see what laid in store for Ringo, Jesinta was quite nervous as was I while Helena didn't seem bothered by it all. We made our way into the courtroom and were shortly joined by all the relevant parties including the judge.
"In the case of Ringo Brown, on the charge of attempted murder what do you find?" The judge asked. "We find the defendant guilty your honour" replied the spokeswoman for the jury.
 It was no great shock to anyone as the evidence was there, the Judge deliberated over the decision before sentencing Ringo to 8 years with a 5 year non parole period. He was led away but not before giving one more look in my direction, I knew once he was out he would be coming for me but I had at least 5 years up my sleeve as least. I looked over at Jesinta and tears were starting to stream down her face."It's finally over. Obviously I have to live like this but now I can close the book on this horrible part of my life" she cried. I had no idea on what to say to that so we made our way back to the van and shortly arrived back at the centre. Once again Jesinta was a bit tired so was winched into bed, she wasn't ready for sleep though and asked me to stay behind so we could chat. Helena and another nurse fixed her up left us alone.
"Thanks Steven" she said

"For what?" I asked

"For your support, not just today but the last couple of weeks. It's been amazing getting to know you further and I couldn't imagine my life now without you in it" she confided

"I'm not as good a person as you think I am" I replied.

"Well at the moment you are doing a pretty good job" she smiled

"Thanks"

"Hey you want to know something else?"

"Yeah what?"

"Your a really awesome kisser" she gushed.

When she said it I couldn't help but blush. "I'm thinking you should show me again how good you are with your mouth" she added. I leaned over and gave her a kiss, it felt remarkable and I never thought I would have the feelings I now had for this woman, no matter the circumstance.

After another day of working on the grounds I went to head back to see Jesinta again as she had asked me to come over after my shift ended, as I went to make my way off the grounds though I saw Helena talking to a man that looked like he was very shifty, she was handing him a couple of cardboard boxes and I wondered what it was although I had an idea. I walked to the two of them to investigate.
"Hey Helena what are you up to?" i enquired. Helena looked at me with a dirty look before replying "None of your business Steve".

"What's in the box?" I asked

"Nothing important"

"We'll see about that" I said before yanking one of the boxes out of the man's hands. Straight away he went to throw a punch but I blocked it and headbutted him before he scampered off knowing i had him beaten. I picked up one of the boxes and checked out the contents, sure enough they were clandestine dvd's of the patients at the centre." You were going to get that guy to sell these?"

"I think you know the answer to that already Steve" acknowledged Helena.

"I still can't believe you do this, that and the people who buy this kind of stuff"

"There's a lot of people into this mate, they just stay hidden because society just doesn't understand" defended Helena.

"Well i'm taking these and destroying them"

"I wouldn't advise that" warned Helena.

"I'll take my chances" I replied before walking off with the dvd's. As I walked off with them I noticed one of Jesinta so I disposed of that first scratching it so that it wouldn't be able to play, I took the rest down to the local garbage dump and hoped they didn't see the light of day.

After disposing of the dvd's the next day I ran into Jesinta. She always seemed to have a uncanny knack for knowing where I'll be but now i cherished a visit from her rather than trying to run.
"Hey Steven how are you?" she smiled.

"I'm ok" I replied still shaken over what was occurring. I noticed that today Jesinta wasn't with Helena so I decided that we could talk and not have to worry about her listening. "Hey do you want to go for a picnic?" I asked.

"A picnic? Sounds wonderful" beamed Jesinta whose face lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Ok just give me an hour to get some food and I will meet you back at the rose bush outside"

"Sounds good to me"

I took off to get a few items for our picnic including some chicken, cheese and some salad before heading back. True to form Jesinta was there waiting at the rose bush with her substitute nurse, she had changed and was wearing a delightful red dress showing a bit of cleavage, her legs were on show with her collection bag strapped on and containing a tube that ran up her legs into her lady parts, her toes were painted purple and looked cute in a pair of thick heeled white wedges. I quickly made my way and remarked at how good she looked.
"Someone is looking hot" I gestured. Jesinta appeared to go a bit red before saying an embarrassed "thanks". She asked her nurse if we could have some private time and she duly obliged and left us be.
As I unpacked the picnic I looked over at Jesinta in her wheelchair and she just looked radiant, her dyed dark brown hair glistening in the sun while her lips looked so supple and moist. I didn't realise I was staring and this caught Jesinta's attention.
"What are you looking at? Did the nurse do my makeup wrong? Does my body look weird? she asked still a bit self conscious over the way she was.

"No nothing is wrong, I just think your so beautiful" I expressed.

 I moved over to her face with temples graced by pads holding her head in place and I gave her a kiss, she moaned as my lips met hers and it was fair to say we both enjoyed it, when I pulled away I looked into her eyes and they were just filled with such passion, I started to think that maybe this was the way it was meant to be, maybe what happened needed to happen for us to meet and spend this time together. After our embrace I went back to the picnic basket and retrieved some items.
"You know your going to have to feed me today" announced Jesinta. "You ever fed a quadriplegic before?"

"Can't say I have" I replied. "I'm definitely going to do my best though"

"If your feeding skills are anywhere as good as your kissing then we won't have a problem" hinted Jesinta.

I couldn't believe how relaxed I felt without Helena around and being with Jesinta just felt so easy and right. "What would you like first?" I asked

"Well I don't eat much but those strawberries look good. Oh and can you dip them in that chocolate that will be devine"

I took a strawberry from the punnet and dipped it in some melted chocolate I had been able to locate, as I plunged the strawberry into the chocolate it started to drip as i took it out. As I moved to Jesinta with it I put my other hand under it to stop the drips. I moved it up to Jesinta's mouth and placed it within a few centimetres of her mouth. "You have to virtually put it in my mouth. I can't move my head remember?" pointed out Jesinta. She opened her mouth and I placed the chocolate laden strawberry in her mouth, I knew from previous conversations that she couldn't really taste things but the act of it all was enough for her as her ruby red lips and teeth bit into a fresh strawberry. After she finished her first one I came along with another, this time though some of the chocolate dropped onto the top of her chest. "Sorry I dropped a bit of chocolate just below your vent" I admitted as I went to get a napkin to wipe it off. "No need for a napkin I'm sure you could find another way to clean it up" she hinted in a naughty tone. I couldn't believe she was thinking what I thought she was thinking but I leaned over and planted my tongue on the top of her chest and run it up licking up the chocolate that had dropped, as I did this I noticed Jesinta had her eyes closed with a smile on her face. "Kiss me" she asked so once again we kissed, my tongue still covered in chocolate but that didn't seem to worry Jesinta and this was quite a long embrace, our lips clashing together in a fury of emotion. While we had been getting much closer of late we were now reaching the point of no return but i didn't care, I was falling for Jesinta, and in a major way.....
 
Chapter 9
After the picnic Jesinta and I got even closer, she liked music as a means of healing and we both listened together to the many songs that had helped her get through the days, she was such a wonderful woman and I was now starting to enjoy every minute I spent with her, to be honest I almost went to work just hoping to run into her although she would often have therapy or a session with her psychologist as she still suffered depression over her condition. After another visit with Jesinta one day I left her room and Helena was waiting for me.
"The two of you have been getting quite cosy lately" she remarked.

"Well yes your right, Jesinta is a very special woman" I said proudly.

"Just make sure that when she finds out the truth i'm there ok? I want to see her eyes when she learns what you really are" taunted Helena.

"I'm sure I will find the courage to tell her one day" I replied.
 I then tried to turn the tables a little on Helena. "Not that I like to give you much thought Helena but considering your quite keen on Jesinta yourself how come you never tried anything with her?"

"Well yes I do like Jesinta and I would have loved for something to happen but she told me a story once about a female worker at another hospital who had wandering hands, she said it made her feel very uncomfortable and that she would never date someone responsible for her intimate care needs. I knew then it was a lost cause but I have my videos and I get to touch her every day so all good" she explained adding the last bit on to make me angry.

The thought of Helena with her hands all over the woman I was now starting to fall for enraged me no end but I couldn't show it. "Your unbelievable" I said as I went to walk off. As I made my way off she told me to expect a visit from her "friend" over my handling of the dvd's, she told me he wasn't happy and I would know about it very soon. I had no idea who this friend was but I was sure I would soon find out.

After a couple of days of lying low due to a minor infection Jesinta was well enough for us to hang out again, we were now on a regular kissing basis and she liked to feel like her body was still desirable so she wanted me to touch it which I had to admit I enjoyed, I couldn't believe that not long ago I had a steady girlfriend and a child on the way and how that had all exploded and I was now dating a quadriplegic of all things. With another day spent with Jesinta under my belt I got called into Clarence's office as he wanted to talk to me, I wondered if he knew what was going on with his daughter and strangely enough that was the reason he had invited me in.
"Hello Steven, how's everything going at present?" he asked.

"Yeah going well Clarence" I replied

"Well that's good to hear. My daughter told me you had a bit of a fight the other day over some dvd's?"

"Yes well they were some very unsavoury dvd's"

"Really? What was their nature?" asked an inquisitive Clarence.

"Well I know Helena is your daughter and all but she is mixed up with some very undesirable characters"

"That doesn't sound good" Clarence said before pausing. "Tell me this though Steven, what gives you the right to judge?" he added pointedly.

I felt there was a bit of a tone to the way he said that and wondered if he knew what my past was. "Are you trying to tell me something? I asked

"Well Helena told me that... well.. let's just say that you've had a colourful past"

At this point I knew that Clarence knew about what I had done, informed by Helena obviously. I wondered why he was hinting at it though, Helena used it as leverage so that I wouldn't bust her dvd ring but why would Clarence care? I then realised who Helena's "friend" must be.
"So tell me Clarence, you say you know what I have done but how about you?" I hinted hoping to get Clarence thinking.

"What do you mean? What I have done?" Clarence batted back

"Well your the "friend" that Helena talks about aren't you?"

"What on earth are you talking about?"

"It's you. Your her partner in crime when it comes to videotaping and distributing the dvd's of the people in the centre?" I told Clarence laying it all down on the line. He wasn't happy.

"Listen you prick you better shut your mouth quick smart or I will shut it for you" threatened Clarence. "I tend to think that attempted murder is a little more serious than selling off a few dvd's so I wouldn't be so self righteous buddy"

Clarence was really starting to get quite animated with me now and a vein was starting to bulge on the side of his face, I knew I should probably just shut the hell up and play dumb but when the woman I loved was involved I couldn't help it, to be honest I couldn't believe I just said I loved her but I did, she had warmed my heart so much that now I couldn't imagine being without her. After a little more heated discussion I left Clarence's office, I knew that Helena was Clarence's daughter but I still couldn't believe Clarence was in on it to, so much for wanting to run a "tight ship" as he told me, that was clearly a bald faced lie and he was just as crooked as a dog's hind leg.

After leaving the office I felt like I needed to wind down so I went to the local saloon to shoot a bit of pool and have a few drinks, after I had downed a few bourbons I just happened to run into the security guard that I had belted not long ago at the Foo Fighters concert.
"What the fuck are you doing here?" he menaced. I looked at him and wasn't concerned over the way he looked, I had dealt with him before and I would again if possible.
"Having a few drinks and minding my own business, something you should be doing yourself" I replied. As I said this though I noticed two men come up behind him, I guessed they were his mates and knew that suddenly I could be in trouble.
"Yeah well I'm going to make you my business tonight" he said before the three of them set upon me, I was quite adept at handling myself in a fight one on one but three proved to be a worry, I suffered many blows to the head before fighting them off and staggering into the street bloodied, there I had a stroke of luck and was able to hop into a taxi and get free...

After arriving home in the taxi I now knew that I had to get out of the town Juwata, not only did I have the security guard and his mates to contend with but I still was wanted by police for his assault, add to that Clarence and his daughter who knew about my past dealings and it had become far too risky to live in this town, I had to leave but I couldn't leave Jesinta, she meant too much to me now and I would have to find a way for her to come with me..
 
Chapter 10
 
The morning after my assault I was feeling quite sore, I looked in the mirror and could see that I had quite a bruised face which I wouldn't be able to hide, my ribs weren't faring too well either and I was concerned one of them might be cracked but I wouldn't be going to the hospital to find out that's for sure. I struggled with my putting my shirt on and then my pants, it was quite painful but I decided I had to tough it out, I would also have to find a way to get Jesinta out of Sheroaks and away from Helena and Clarence. Something that would prove quite difficult.
After having no breakfast I made my way to work, straight away Helena saw me. "What the hell happened to you?" she said looking amused.

"Just had a little trouble at the bar" I replied.

"A little trouble???"

"Yeah nothing for you to worry yourself about"

"Ooooh someone is touchy"

"Well you would be too if your face felt like it was on fire and you felt like death warmed up" I snapped.

With that said she just smiled, happy to see me in pain and then leaving me be. I made my way out to the garden and noticed the lawns needed mowing so got out the ride on mower, sitting on that doing the lawns shouldn't be too taxing I thought and I started her up and made my way cutting the grass around the complex. After 45 minutes or so Jesinta appeared in front of me, she looked like she was saying something but I couldn't hear her over the roar of the mower so I turned it off and jumped off to talk to her. "Hey gorgeous, you look hot on that mower" she smiled cheekily.

"Thanks babe" I replied. I then turned my head and she noticed my bruised face.

"Oh my god what happened to your face??" she asked worriedly.

"Just got into an argument at the local drinking establishment no big deal" I said trying to play it down.

"Well come over here and I can kiss it better"

I moved over to my paralyzed lover and put my bruised face within reach of her sweet lips, even just her kissing my face made me grimace a little in pain. "I'm sorry" said Jesinta hearing me.

 "All good. A kiss from you has made it a lot better" I replied before placing one on her lips that she wasn't expecting but enjoyed. "This will probably sound silly considering i'm a quadriplegic but every time you kiss me I feel weak at the knees" she gushed.
I now felt the same way and gestured back "Doesn't sound silly at all. Not when you care for someone".

"Do you care for me Steven? Like I mean really care?" asked Jesinta with a vulnerability in her eyes I hadn't seen before.

"Yes very much. The time we have spent together has just been so unbelievably special. I've enjoyed every minute" I moved to assure her

"Really? Every minute? I feel now that we are as one in the way we talk, kiss and everything else but when I first met you I always felt like you were holding back. Is that true?"

"I think I was just a bit concerned over your well being etc. I didn't want to get too close and let you down in some way but i don't feel like that anymore as I'm now sure of my feelings"

I gave her the company line to a degree but it was true, at first I was scared, scared of what I'd done, scared of what could happen but now that had all gone. You can't change the past and in the present I have tremendous feelings for this woman, she is a shining light in an otherwise bleak landscape and I had made it my mission now to try and make her as happy as she has been making me.
"Do you love me?" Jesinta asked. I couldn't believe she had just come out and said it but she did and I knew what to say.

"Yes. I love you Jesinta" I replied. I could see tears starting to well up in her eyes. "What's wrong?" I asked.

"Nothing is wrong. It's just that after everything i've been through I can't believe I have found someone that I have such a profound connection with. I thought after being shot I would never experience love again but I have, and it feels wonderful" said Jesinta in a flood of emotion.
As i stood there I couldn't help almost shed a tear myself, in such a short period of time this woman now meant so much to me. "You big softie" teased Jesinta as she picked up on my feeling for her. As I stood there I decided to ask Jesinta something."Are you happy here? Like I mean at Sheroaks?"

"Why do you ask that?" replied Jesinta curious.

"I just think that this place isn't right for you, I've seen some things around here that have been a bit suspect and it worries me when i go home knowing you are here 24/7" I hinted without going into specifics.

 Jesinta looked at me a bit strangely before asking "What kind of things? I haven't seen anything"

"Just elements of care, mainly with other people, they have said they aren't happy" I made up.

"I love it here to be honest. The staff are great and my best friend Helena is here too, plus there's a really hot maintenance guy who works here as well" she giggled.

"What if i left though?"

"Your leaving?" Jesinta fretted.

"I'm thinking about it. I don't want to leave you though that's why i'm asking"

"Oh please don't leave Sheroaks, I have already lost too much I can't lose you too" worried Jesinta thinking i was just taking off after declaring my love.

"Don't worry. Even if I left Sheroaks we are still together. I want to spend every minute of the day with you it's just i don't think I can do it here anymore" I explained.

To be honest I couldn't explain it properly without ratting out Helena but i didn't want to do that as it would only cause trouble, unfortunately though without doing it would prove quite difficult to want Jesinta to want to move.
Sure enough the next day Helena had heard about the potential of me leaving. "Heard you might be taking off. Jesinta is worried" she mentioned.

"Yeah well how can I keep on going here knowing what's going on?"

"Well if you just looked the other way then we wouldn't have a problem would we?" urged Helena wanting me to just forget they were taking the last bit of dignity away from these people that they had by filming their intimate care needs.

"I have already done enough wrong I can't continue down that path. Plus I genuinely care for Jesinta now"

"Oh isn't that sweet. You care for her do you? Such a martyr" Helena chided.

"How about you find a transfer for Jesinta. There must be other places like this around she can be moved to, do that and I will out of your hair and you can continue on with your horrible little dvd ring without any opposition from me" I offered.
 I hated to throw all the other people at the centre 'under the bus' so to speak but I had to get Jesinta out of there and that was the only leverage I had.

"God you must really like her" said an astounded Helena.

"I more than like her, I love her" I replied.

Helena burst out laughing. "You love her?? Hahaha. Oh god that's the funniest thing I have ever heard!!"

My patience had grown very thin talking to Helena of late and I wasn't appreciating being laughed at over my feelings. "So we do have a deal or not??" I barked.

"Well the only place anywhere near like this is 7 hours away. But it's 7 hours closer to where you used to live" Helena said thankfully regaining her composure.

7 hours closer to where I lived wasn't ideal but it still gave me a 5 hour buffer, it would have to do I thought to myself, at this current point in time anywhere was better than Sheroaks. "Well can you set it up then please?" I asked.

"Well yeah right away. But there's one thing you should now though young Steven" hinted Helena

"And what's that?"

"Jesinta has to want to go, we can't just make her"

I looked at her and hoped it wasn't just a stupid game of hers but then I realised after further discussion that it was true. I would have to convince Jesinta to want to leave, and that wouldn't be easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment